Thursday, October 30, 2014

Surprise Sewing Bee - patternreview.com



The Great Pattern Review Sewing Bee

I have endless fabric, notions, patterns, of all kinds from all eras, but little time to shop.  So this contest, which promises to rely on things you will most likely already have stashed, is perfect and promises great fun.

 I'm starting the contest with this skirt from Vintage Simplicity 8503, circa about 1965.


When the pattern requirements for the first part of the contest were announced, I was certain I had nothing that fit the description: Aline lined skirt with a waistband. But after looking again, I saw lurking in the back of this coat pattern, a woman sporting an aline with waistband - just in case you want to match your skirt to the reverse of your coat.

Aline skirt with waistband, to me,  brings back memories of Villager clothing, matching cotton blouses with tucks and skirts with waistbands, in liberty type prints.  I had a school friend in  the late sixties whose mother outfitted her this way.   My  pattern shows a tweedier, older, wiser, Mrs. Robinson type of crowd, off for a martini at the club, a cigarette, and a hand of bridge.

 This pattern hails from when they changed the sizing of patterns.  A size 12 is now a 34 bust and the pattern costs 85 cents.
I haven't made the coat yet because I need to find a tutorial on adding inseam pockets to a reversible coat.  If someone knows of one, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment